Honoring the Semi-Colon

You know, I’ve long been a believer in a well-placed semi-colon; it strikes me the same way it does this author, that there’s “more to come” in the sentence. I also love the three-dot end to a sentence; it’s a trailing off way of saying, in effect, “I’m just sayin’…”.

But what I hate more than anything is the abuse and misuse of the apostrophe. Good night, it’s like nobody was paying attention in English class, where we learned that an apostrophe ought to be used to describe possession (the Harveys’ dog, SweePea), but not to pluralize a word (the Harvey’s). Also, as in my example, when the subject is itself plural, the apostrophe to indicate possession is placed after the “s”, whereas in the case of a singular, the apostrophe is placed before the “s” (the Harveys’ dog, SweePea; Brent’s dog, SweePea).

Sorry, I just had to get that off my chest…

I’m so happy. I just linked to a sidebar link from this site, the “Apostrophe Protection Society”. Together, we can make this world a safer place for the beleaguered apostrophe!

2. Mark merritt says:

Hmmm. Interesting article’s. LOL

Apostrophe – A trophy given to the apostles in heaven that they inevitably lay at the feet of Jesus.

So how’s the comedy circuit gig going these days, Mark? šŸ™‚

4. Graham says:

There is the old “greengrocer’s apostrophe” where outside greengrocers you’ll see signs about apple’s and potatoe’s.

What is really irksome is the people who feel the need to put an apostrophe before the final s of any word, e.g. Mr Jone’s.

5. Mark Merritt says:

Byron,

“So how’s the comedy circuit going these days, Mark”

I thought you already knew that I resigned from the ministry! LOL

Health difficulties too, like my recent semi-colonoscopy.

Now there’s proof I would never make the circuit…

6. Derlin says:

Is the second “Harvey’s” supposed to be “Harvey’s” or “Harveys'”? Are you treating the name as representative of your family members or some individual’s name?

Apostrophe abuse always irks me when it shows up in worship lyrics or other presentations in church. It really ruins the moment for me.

Oops, I inadvertently abused an apostrophe!! It will be changed by the time you check this, as if it NEVER HAPPENED…

8. Derlin says:

Even the best of us are entitled to the occasional mistake! That was a quick fix, too.

9. Derlin says:

We shouldn’t leave out the special case of “its” and “it’s”. It’s (it is) cold out. That car is cheap because its (possesive) fender is bent.

10. jen elslager says:

Yeah, that one alway’s drive’s me nut’s!

šŸ™‚