From today’s Atlanta Journal-Constitution comes this mouth-watering revelation: a Mexican restaurant in the Atlanta suburb of Lilburn was closed down by the health department for posting a failing grade. Its owners had desired a name change, and thus had requested the health department to come out, because a fresh inspection is necessary under county law, apparently, whenever there’s a name change; in other words, the owners knew they were coming (keep that little piece of information handy as you read this). Now, I’m sure that health departments around the country close down restaurants every day for failing to meet cleanliness requirements. You’re undoubtedly familiar with the scoring system, a 1-100 affair, with a corresponding letter grade just like when you were in school. Restaurants in our area have to post their letter and number grades in view of customers; that’s probably pretty much standard as well. I’m not sure what constitutes an “F”, but it’s probably somewhere in the 60’s, right?
OK, so the inspectors come in and give this restaurant a failing grade, and it can’t reopen until it achieves a score of 100, according to the article. Now, as I said above, my guess is that a 63 would probably be a failing score, right?
But the restaurant didn’t get a 63.
And if a 63 was failing, then a 53 would be a good bit worse.
But the restaurant didn’t get a 53.
Can you imagine a restaurant being dirty enough to warrant a 43? That would be just awful, grosser than gross, don’t you think?
But the restaurant didn’t get a 43.
33? You’ve got to be kidding. I mean, what would that entail, like raw sewage on the restroom floors?
But the restaurant didn’t get a 33.
The mind boggles to think how unsanitary a restaurant would have to be to be given a 23; I mean, I’ve been in some restaurants that scored in the 90s that didn’t look all that particularly clean to me, but a 23? Ewwwww!
But the restaurant didn’t get a 23.
No, Mar Y Tierra Family Mexican Restaurant in Lilburn, Georgia was awarded a thirteen.
There was mold growing in the ice machine (I’m sorry, but how does that happen?). Raw chicken was found stored just above uncovered cut onions (“I’d like a salmonella chimichanga, please!”). Meat served cold on the buffet was not stored properly on ice; can you say, “botulism”? Food handlers were preparing food without proper sanitation or gloves, so ring me up an E coli Burrito with a side of, what, Spanish lice?
13. Just the sound of that grosses me out…