A personal favorite of mine passed away today at his home in Maine.

This is one of my favorites of his, a soulful tribute to his father, who inspired him to be a singer/songwriter. It’s worth a listen in tribute to one of the great songwriters of the 70’s and 80’s.

1. jen elslager says:

I literally burst into tears. I knew he had cancer, but didn’t know he had died. I saw him in concert years ago. He’s a longtime favourite of mine. I pray for his wife.

Thanks for posting this. I think I’ll post my own tribute as well.

2. Mark Merritt says:

That is sad. My wife and I used to listen to him all of the time in college and after we married.

We did get to see a concert in Erie in the late 90’s. I’ll bet some don’t realize that he was equally proficient on the guitar and piano.

3. wealthy the spirit that knows its own flight

stealthy the hunter that slays his own fright

blessed the traveler who journeys the length of the light

I do not know where his journey took him late in life. His lyrics did not seem to portray a Christian world view, although I always found a way to read my view into them, such as with these three beautiful lines.

No, I never really sensed a commitment to Christ, although I hadn’t really heard much about him for a long time. His death caught me by surprise.

5. Heart Hotel Night Manager says:

Have you seen his Christmas lyrics? Perhaps he did believe in Jesus later. I hope so.

— John 3.16-18

6. Ed Martin says:

Didn’t you originally want one of his songs at your wedding?

7. Wow, preachers, killjoys.

DOH!

As a matter of fact, I did, “Longer”, but it was shot down by the preacher who married us. Whatever…

9. Paul - SteelerDirtFreak says:

One of the coolest things I have ever seen at a wedding was one where my Mom was the organist and played Longer as one the couple’s requested musical pieces.

And of course, if you know my Mom, you know that she had no clue who Dan Fogelberg was, had never heard the song before, and that style is very much NOT her style. But she ended up actually liking the song and did a great job with it.

And when I was doing the wedding DJ thing, Longer was consistently one of my most requested songs. Except for when I did the biker gang weddings. They didn’t seem to request Dan Fogelberg too much.

10. Tim Edwards says:

Did he know the LORD?

11. Teresa Robinson says:

He did a song called, “Don’t Lose Heart” that causes me to think he was a Christian. I’ve just been reading up on him to try to find out, and came across your website, here. I sure hope he was.