On the heels of my ATM post, where I wrote about the prerogative that Bank of America has to charge whatever they darn-well please for their service (and my right to never use that service, a right I have personally exercised 100% of the time), I want to post a corollary. There are laws on the books of many states (maybe all states, for all I know) against “price-gouging”. These laws “protect the consumer”. You know, time of national emergency, and some gas station doubles its gas prices, and then some government wonks come down on them for “price-gouging”. Sounds right.

Wrong. Let the market work itself out, folks, because it will. When a business treats me wrong, I do not patronize that business. Period. And I have a long memory. When I was a freshman in college, I went into a drugstore right around the corner from my dorm, a drugstore I’d visited several times previously. The lady behind the counter had a reputation of smarting-off to us college students, and this time, she was extremely rude to me. I promptly went back to my dorm, wrote a letter to the owner, informed him that absent a sincere apology, he’d seen the last of my face in that store, and mailed it. I never heard back from him, and I never darkened the door of that store during the rest of my college years, though it would have been convenient so many times. I can reference the same type thing happening several other times in my life: I made the choice not to patronize a business that dealt unfairly with me.

And so the public would have the same right to publicize, and refuse to patronize, stores that engaged in price-gouging. Such businesses bear the economic burden associated with their choice to “price-gouge”.

Is “price-gouging” nice? No. But should it be illegal? Of course not.

1. Hefe says:

I think you should grace everyone with the “Penny Party” story to further explain your position!

PLLEEAASEEE!

2. Hefe says:

Oh, and subscribed.

The ole “Penny Party” story. Hmmmm…I’m pretty busy. What’s it worth to ya?

4. Hefe says:

Oh, about a penny. Maybe a penny every day for a month! I know you would be waiting by the mailbox!

5. Does this have to do with tinkling?

6. Derlin says:

If I were Byron* I’d let you waive the pennies and just send an envelope with the stamps you’d need to send the other 27-30 pennies.

* I am not Byron.

OK, Red Oak’s Grand Opening is tomorrow (featuring Chad Voller as guest worship leader, for those of you who know him). After we get past that, I’ll tell the Penny Story.

You’re welcome.

8. Hey, so Chad is going to tinkle on the ivories.

Seriously, we’ll say some prayers, bro…

9. Derlin says:

So, has anyone googled “tinkle on the ivories” recently? Guess what shows up near the top…

ROFLOL!